|Reality encroached and i have neglected this blog a bit. Normally, I would put this into the sections of Alma’s Gems, but ths is just too bizare
Icelandic “Necropants” explained
If you want to make your own necropants (literally; nábrók) you have to get permission from a living man to use his skin after he’s dead.
After he has been buried you must dig up his body and flay the skin of the corpse in one piece from the waist down. As soon as you step into the pants they will stick to your own skin. A coin must be stolen from a poor widow and placed in the scrotum along with the magical sign, nábrókarstafur, written on a piece of paper. Consequently the coin will draw money into the scrotum so it will never be empty, as long as the original coin is not removed. To ensure salvation the owner has to convince someone else to overtake the pants and step into each leg as soon as he gets out of it. The necropants will thus keep the money-gathering nature for generations.
I suppose it’s reassuring to note that sorcerers in Icelandic folklore got informed consent before flaying a dead person’s corpse. But I think I see a trick in the guarantee: the scrotum will never be empty as long as the original coin is not removed. Well, duh (perhaps some subtlety has been lost in translation).
Text from the website of the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft, via Got Medieval. Photo via Flickr user HelenPaisson of a latex reproduction housed in the aforementioned museum.
|Some interesting links..|
- lnkd.in/tzJr_F Degas! What else need be said... 4 years ago
- lnkd.in/x4WXSU I am not sure if it is available in the UK, but tateside Czech emigrants use Farina as a good substitute for the... 4 years ago
- An unsung legend of Czech Photography: lnkd.in/f8AwDK 4 years ago
- Vilém Heckel a Legend of Czech Photography and The Kavkaz. lnkd.in/RZTEvz 4 years ago
- Leonor Fini Portraits lnkd.in/NRuj9C 4 years ago
- Photographer Joseph Tran lnkd.in/_892Qb 4 years ago
- lnkd.in/z4sDjz 4 years ago
- "People are hearing a lot more context than music, so perhaps I accept that I am now primarily a context maker." - Brian Eno 4 years ago
- I have just updated my Viadeo profile: viadeo.com/s/ijVQV 4 years ago
- Fashion, another aspect to Vilém Heckel”s diverse portfolio: Škoda Auto and Charlotte Sheffield Miss ... nblo.gs/FmJgu 4 years ago
- SA denial of visa to Dalai Lama is 'unlawful' lnkd.in/YxTbvR 4 years ago
- An unsung legend of Czech Photograhy, english version coming soon! vilemheckel.cz 4 years ago
- Sovena... always great posts! lnkd.in/sU2AG7 4 years ago
- super! lnkd.in/2vzk_t 4 years ago
- Photographer Camil Tulcan lnkd.in/_TcMGx 4 years ago
- Danny van Ryswyk lnkd.in/daY-Up 4 years ago
- Photography for me is a passion, a mixture of science and art that creates magic. If a day goes by without photography, it’s incomplete. … 4 years ago
- Vilém Heckel a Legend of Czech Photography lnkd.in/VDYWQ4 4 years ago
- Vilém Heckel a Legend of Czech Photography nblo.gs/F9Flq 4 years ago
- fantasti... lnkd.in/4_3RJM 4 years ago